ZEPP Country Music, Inc.
P.O. Box 306
4 East Third St.
Wendell, NC 27591-0306
Local: 919-365-5189 or
Call Toll Free within USA: 866-365-5189
Keith Tuning Pegs from the Beacon Banjo Company:
Stainless and Non-plated Brass Shown; Gold Available
Bill's Keith Banjo Tuners, below, have been regarded as a paragon of quality since he began selling them in 1963. In 2003, Bill finally agreed to make and market regular planetary banjo tuners using the same quality and attention to detail.
I heartily suggest that anyone
interested give him a call. Bill is a great guy, and has done a lot for
the banjo community over the years. Yes, I stock them to install on
banjos sold through my shop, but, no, I will not sell them mail-order. For
those who just want to buy the tuners, I really urge you to support Bill by
buying directly from him. Please see below for ordering information.
- His Keith Tuning Pegs use the same innards as his Keith Banjo Tuners, but, being simpler,
they are in a substantially smaller housing. Not only will the stainless steel gears in them last just about forever (most--if not all--cheaper tuners contain some softer, brass gearing which eventually wears out), but the gears are much finer machined than in cheaper tuners...in fact, the gears in Bill's tuners have literally twice the number of teeth you'll find in lesser tuners. It's no wonder they are so smooth and precise.
- They are available in stainless, gold-plated, or non-plated brass housings which develop a nice grungy patina over time, so I shall keep these in stock, too.
- The spools are similar to the smaller ones on his Keith Banjo Tuners, but are
slightly larger (by .020 inch) to accommodate a larger string hole (for
- The buttons use the same splined configuration as those on the
Keith Banjo Tuners: they are available in pearloid, amber
(butterscotch), ivoroid, and black.
- He sells the stainless and non-plated brass tuners for $100 per pair.
Keith Banjo Tuners from the Beacon Banjo Company:
Banjo legend Bill Keith invented his Keith Banjo Tuner D-tuners in 1963, and has been manufacturing and selling them since. In 2001, Mr. Keith changed his distribution policies, and is now selling them directly. His website, beaconbanjo.com, seems to be perpetually under constuction, but he is taking telephone or fax orders at (845) 679-8314 and (845) 679-5483, respectively.
Bill has kindly agreed to continue supplying me with a small number of his Keith Banjo Tuners so I can install them on the banjos I sell; I will happily install tuners purchased from me or directly from Bill without charge.
- Shown above are his stainless steel Keith Banjo Tuners for the 2nd and 3rd strings (note the different spool diameters--these are designed so the same degree of turning of each tuner will correctly drop your banjo into a "D" tuning).
- Keith Banjo Tuners are also available for the 1st and 4th strings for the more adventurous among you, but even if you never use them for fancy in-flight retunings, they are simply the very best engineered and constructed tuners available!
- Bill offers a lifetime guarantee to the original owner for these exquisite machines.
Keith Tuners are stocked for 2nd and 3rd strings in stainless only: $220
- Installation of Keith Banjo Tuners or Bill's new regular planetary tuner: Free with purchase from me or from Bill. Please take into account that Bill makes more more money if you get them directly from him, so if you're not looking to walk in and have them installed, or aren't asking me to put them on a banjo before I ship it, I encourage you to support his business!
- Gold-plated Keith Banjo Tuners ($275), and 1st and 4th string Keith Banjo Tuners must be special ordered, so you might as well get them directly from Bill. If you do, I'll still install them gratis.